Pasaulē ir vairāk nekā 100 pilsētas ar vienādu nosaukumu Jaunpils? Vairāk
Jaunpils Castle was built in 1301 as a Livonian Order fortress, surrounded by water on all sides. It was originally inhabited by small knight units. In later years, the castle was transformed by adding the big defensive tower and the rest of the floors. In 1576, the castle came under the ownership of Matthias “Thies” von der Recke of the Recke family, which ran the manor for nearly 350 years.
The castle has many interesting details that attract attention and spark imagination: the devil at the end of a drainpipe, the small spiral staircase, the medieval garderobe, and the marble relief Madonna with Child in the hall.
The ancient knights’ castle still surprises visitors with its grandeur and the medieval aura, which prevails not only in its corridors and rooms but also in excursions and events with medieval characters: brother friar Theodore, keeper of keys and others.
Jaunpils Castle Medieval Pub, which has long been renowned for its medieval feasts, resides beneath the vaulted ceiling of one of the most ancient parts of the castle, the knights’ dining hall. Eaten either with wooden spoons or hands, any meal here is special.
Jaunpils Castle awaits you not only on holidays, which you can spend in medieval apartments or double rooms, but also for a medieval or modern feast in one of the castle halls.
The three floors of the oldest wing house Jaunpils Museum with expositions on historical events related to the castle and the vicinity.
Opening hours: daily 10:00–17:00.
Admittance: museum € 1.00 for adults, € 0.50 for pupils and pensioners; the rest of the castle only with a guide: starting from € 5.00 for individuals and € 3.00 for groups.
The rich cultural heritage of Jaunpils Rural Territory and testimonies thereof from the earliest times until modern times are found in the Jaunpils Museum, which is located in the most ancient part of the knights’ castle.
The museum expositions tell of the history of Jaunpils Rural Territory, manors and Jaunpils Castle. Here you can see the models of Livonian Order Castles – Jaunpils and Dobeles castles, replicas of weapons and armour, archaeological finds and a coin collection.
Art lovers are welcome to the museum’s exhibition hall, which offers changing exhibitions of professional and local artists’ and craftsmen’s works.
Jaunpils Museum organises historical remembrance days and thematic events, and each year participates in the international Night of Museums and the Medieval Festival.
Opening hours: summer season daily 10:00–20:00, winter season 10:00–17:00.
Admittance: € 1.00 for adults, € 0.50 for pupils and pensioners
Contact information: phone: +371 63162128, +371 20223423, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
May 2015 saw the origins of the House of Crafts under the management of the weaving expert Velga Pavlovska. Jaunpils Weaving Workshop has 16 looms, including functioning pulley and shaft looms and the famous Viļumsons’ loom in preparation process. The workshop also exhibits the finished works of members. The works of Jaunpils weavers have been appraised by the experts of the field, featuring their linens and patterned mittens in the Decorative Folk Arts Exhibition of the XXV Nationwide Song and XV Dance Festival.
Guests of the House of Crafts are introduced to the traditions of weaving and the craft itself and the cultural heritage of Latvians both daily and in thematic events. Visitors can book an excursion programme, where they will be introduced to weaving, its history in Latvia, types of looms and the process of making fabric.
In addition to the excursion, there are also various master classes for children and adults. A special experience is a wedding excursion in a truly Latvian spirit, during which you will see a traditional dowry of a bride, spin threads of love and receive a gift for a harmonious life together before departing on your way.
Opening hours: Wednesday to Saturday 10:00–17:00, on Sundays 10:00–16:00.
Please book your excursion in advance by calling to +371 28301408 or +371 26101458.
Contact information: Jaunpils House of Crafts, phone: +371 28301408
Swedish Wall and Niedru lija Medieval Farmstead
According to stories, Matthias “Thies” von der Recke brought 300 Swedish prisoners of war to Jaunpils after the Salaspils Battle of the Thirty Years’ War (1618–1648). He employed the prisoners by making them build a stone wall with a tile roof, which the locals today refer to as the Swedish Wall. Part of it still stands today.
Behind the wall you will find Niedru lija Medieval Farmstead, which offers attractive medieval entertainment: archery, crossbow shooting, hatchet and spear throwing, coining and much more. Here anyone can try on a knight’s armour, pick up a sword and take a photo sporting a war hatchet and a helmet.
Niedru lija Medieval Farmstead offers thematic programmes: Knight School for tourist groups, Knight’s Wedding for newlyweds, Medieval Sports Games for companies and other offers available off-site too.
The church is believed to have been built between 1592 and 1938. In later years, the church’s interior was furnished. The tower was built in 1750. The intricate altar and pulpit (1648) serve as the main ornamental accent in Jaunpils church. Both are featured on the list of art monuments of national significance as valuable 17th century decorative arts objects.
The altar and pulpit of Jaunpils Church make for one of the most luxurious church ensembles among the Lutheran churches of Kurzeme. The church bell (1760) is unique due to its ornaments: a naked woman leaning against a skull. It is the only ornament of this kind among the known bells.
Upon the congregation’s request, the restoration of the altar’s retable began in 2001 with active restoration commenced at the end of 2009. In an incredibly short period of time, only five years, all remaining constructive details and ornamental wood carving were restored at Inga Galviņa’s restoration workshop in Rundāle. One new sculpture and two altar pieces were added: a replica of P. Ārstens’ painting Golgatha and artist Andris Začests’ replica of The Resurrection by an unknown 17th century painter. An altar piece by Kārlis Ieviņš can also be seen at the church.
The church serves not only as a significant accent in the landscape of the historical Jaunpils centre, but also as an example of architecture at the turn of the 17th century.
The surroundings of the manor were landscaped in the 19th century, and in 1864 the Recke family chapel was built next to the church. It is a margnificent, semi submerged domed construction surrounded by the park’s greenery. In the 1990s the chapel was restored.
A sandstone tomb plaque for F.V. Recke with an engraved coat of arms and several marble plaques for members of the baron’s family have been laid down near the chapel.
The creation of the Jaunpils Manor landscape park started in the 18th century at the time of barons Recke. Legends has it that the baron ordered his gardener to plant the trees in a pattern that would create the Recke family coat of arms when the trees blossomed in spring. In 1887 Latviešu avīzes wrote: “The clever gardener has pulled many a lovely thing in the Jaunpils Park upon baron Recke’s orders.” Gravel paths lead everywhere. There are interesting tourist attractions in the park: a stone bridge with the year 1905 and monogram G.A. v. d. R. engraved upon it.
The park is a 19th century architectural monument of national significance. There are several heritage trees and a love stone (formerly a popular rendezvous place for citizens of Jaunpils) in the park. Older people remember the stone as early as from 1913.
In 2009, a new outdoor stage was built in the park, which is a venue for dance parties and concerts in the summertime.
Jaunpils Watermill, built in 1802 (1803), is also located in the park. The watermill was burned down during the 1905 riots. It was later restored and continued operating.
The watermill is listed as a national architectural monument. All equipment has been preserved until nowadays. It can be described as a functioning watermill at a standstill.
The first windmill built in 1803 is said to have been wooden. In 1837, it was replaced by a stone windmill, which the citizens of Jaunpils christened the Love Mill.
In the 1940s, there were attempts to dismantle it. The old stone walls turned out to be so sturdy that even with the use of explosives the dismantling process took nearly three weeks. Now, the only remaining part is the stone boulder foundation.
Jaunpils Manor building complex
Large part of the manor’s buildings existed as early as in the 17th century, but more information on the development of the complex comes from the 19th century. There was a vast complex of utility buildings in the centre: feedlot with stables, barn, coach-house, brewery, distillery, windmill and watermill.
Several utility buildings were burned down in 1905 along with Jaunpils Castle: distillery, stables, grain sheds, etc. These, as well as the castle itself, were restored in the early 20th century.
Since 1912, pure-bred Angler cattle were raised in the baron’s stables. In honour of a perished pedigree bull, a clay bull’s head was fastened at the end of the newly built cattle shed, which does not remain there nowadays.
The horse stable, Zemdegas servants’ quarters and sheds with the Recke family identification marks have all been preserved until nowadays. The former manor buildings now serve other purposes: for instance, Ezerkrogs houses a post office and TOP store.
Zemdegas manor servants’ quarters
The preservation of this building was possible due to the choice to not divide the manor centre in 1921. Servants’ quarters were built to a single layout: it was a long, barrack type of building. The corridor lead from one end to the other. It belongs to the same architectural ensemble as the utility complex, which is enclosed by stone walls on three sides. Posts and remnants of the utility building are also visible.
Leisure and entertainment square
Under the oaks of Līvmaņa Park in the centre of Jaunpils, a leisure and entertainment square for people of all ages has been built. The little ones can play in the playground, while others can work out and test their abilities on the outdoor gym equipment. Several ball swings hang from the largest nearby oak trees.
Jaunpils dairy company store
Just next to the Jaunpils dairy, enterprise has created a small shop where every Jaunpils visitor can buy dairy products. In shop you can buy, a wide range of cheeses, cottage cheese, cream, milk and many other benefits that made from milk.
Sculpture by Gļebs Panteļejevs
The sculpture by Gļebs Panteļejevs for Anna Akhmatova’s play-requiem Black Over Red stands in the centre of Jaunpils. It is only a little part of the entire complex, which was used for stage design. The sculpture was erected in 2002.
The oak shoot planted by Kaiser Wilhelm II of Germany in 1916 grows on the roadside between Jaunpils and Annenieki.